Sheet-pan recipes like this one are great for easy weeknight dinners that require little preparation and minimal dishes. Another hit out of Sami Tamimi and Tara Wigley’s Falastin: A Cookbook, this recipe jumped off the page as we flipped through the book and will easily become a weeknight staple.
Ingredients and Recipe
Lemon Chicken with Za’atar
- Chefs Knife
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Silpat Baking Mat
- Meat Thermometer
For the Marinade
- 3 lemons
- 2 chicken thighs (1.5 lbs / 0.7kg) bone in, skin on
- 2 chicken breasts (1.5 lbs / 0.7kg) bone in, skin on
- 2 medium yellow onions (2 ¾ cups / 260g) sliced in half lengthwise, then each half cut into 3 wedges
- 2 heads of garlic skin on, sliced in half, crosswise
- 2 tsp sumac
- ¾ tsp ground allspice or 1 tsp whole allspice berries, ground in a spice grinder
- 2 tbsp za'atar (12.5g)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (45ml)
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp chicken stock or water (200ml)
- 1½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
For the Parsley Mixture
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp za'atar
- zest of 1 lemon (1½ tsp)
- juice of 1 lemon (1½ tbsp)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the Topping
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (30g) toasted
- Cut 2 of the lemons into ¼-inch/6mm-thick slices and place in a large mixing bowl. Finely grate the zest of the remaining lemon (to get 1½ tsp of zest) and set this aside for later. Squeeze the same lemon to get about 1½ tbsp of juice and add this to the mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken, onions, garlic, sumac, allspice, 2 tbsp za'atar, 2 tbsp of olive oil, the chicken stock, 1½ tsp of salt and a few grinds of black pepper to the mixing bowl. Mix well to combine, then cover with a large plate and let marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or overnight, if you have time).
- 30 minutes to 1 hour before baking, take the chicken out of the fridge; it should be at room temperature before going into the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Transfer the chicken to a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat baking mat, skin side up, and pour on all the marinade and lemon slices. Drizzle the chicken with 1 tbsp of olive oil and bake for about 40 minutes, giving everything a good shake halfway through, until the chicken is golden and cooked through and the onions have taken the same color. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Toward the end of the cooking time for the chicken, combine the parsley, lemon zest, 2 tbsp of za'atar and 3 tbsp of olive oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Toast the ¼ cup of almonds in a small pan.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter along with the lemon slices and any juices that have collected at the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon the parsley mixture on the chicken, finish with the toasted almonds, and serve.
All products featured on Cooking Cookbooks are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through the retail links below, we earn an affiliate commission.
Get This Cookbook
Falastin: A Cookbook