Shout out to Dimes NYC for sharing this recipe. The Family Meal cookbook was a project by started by illustrators and designers to help out New York restaurants as a response to Covid-19 in 2020. We received the hard copy book as a gift – which is now sold out – but on their website, you can download recipes from restaurants and donate to their staff funds. We’d highly recommend trying this recipe out, but also heading over to the familymeal.recipes website to support NYC restaurants.
Ingredients and Recipe
Black Bean and Chorizo Stew
- Chefs Knife
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Can Opener
- Dutch Oven or Large Pot
- Serving Spoon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 red chiles minced
- 8 oz dried chorizo diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cups cooked black beans (3 cans / 1275g black beans) drained and rinsed
- 6 cups beef stock
- 4 cups kale (5 oz) chopped
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- juice from ½ lime
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot with onion, garlic and red chiles over medium heat. Sauté for 10 minutes until tender.
- Add chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes until fat begins to render.
- Add 1 tsp paprika, incorporate and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add black beans and beef stock and turn up heat to high. Bring up to a boil, then turn to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro, kale, ½ tsp salt and lime juice. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until kale is just wilted. Serve immediately with lime wedges, avocado slices and a few cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
All products featured on Cooking Cookbooks are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through the retail links below, we earn an affiliate commission.
Get This Cookbook